Rumtek, the monastery city of Sikkim
About the city of Rumtek
Rumtek is located near Gangtok, the capital city of Sikkim. This beautiful hill city is a famous destination for the Buddhist pilgrims, for housing one of the most important monasteries, which is located 20km away from Gangtok. This religious site is also popularly known as the Dharma chakra Centre. According to historical evidences, it is found that this monastery was built in the 9th century A.D. This beautiful monastery is located an altitude of 5800ft above the sea level.
Interesting sites to explore in Rumtek
- Rumtek Monastery- The specialty of this religious site of Buddhists is that, it was built by following the pattern of famous Tsurphu Monastery of Tibet. Behind this 9th century built monastery of Sikkim, you will find the Karma Nalanda Institutes of Buddhists Studies. Every year students from different countries come to carry on their research on the works and religious activities of Lord Buddha. This monastery is considered as one of the major centre that reflects the Kagyu pedigree outside Tibet.
- Dharma Chakra-The Rumtek Dharma Chakra is located 2km away from the Rumtek Monastery. This site is well likes for housing the collections of precious religious scriptures and other important art objects. In one word, this can be described as a notable Buddhist religion museum. Apart from housing the expensive religious artefacts, this place is noted for displaying these collections to the travelers and for arranging the annual dance function in 28th and 29th October in every year. This special annual dance program is another attraction for making this place into an interesting site for the travelers.
- Jawaharlal Nehru Botanical Garden- This beautiful precinct is located few km away from the Rumtek Monastery. This lush green vegetation area is famous for housing the uncommon amalgamation of colorful Orchids. This garden compound is also well known for having a wide range of tropical and temperate types of trees and plants. Inside this garden, you will find a beautiful walking trail and a small and attractive play zone for kids. This beautiful garden is now under the maintenance of The Forest Department of Sikkim Government.
- Thakurbari temple- This religious Site of Hindus is known as one of the major attractions of Gangtok. This pious site is also famous as one of the oldest temple in Rumtek. In this temple, you will find almost the idols of major Hindu deities. Apart from housing a wide collection of Hindu deities, this beautiful temple is celebrated for its multipurpose halls and library in the compound area.
- Tsomago Lake- This beautiful natural lake is one of the major attractions located nearby Rumtek. This lake is created by the collecting the melting snow of the nearby mountains. According to local people, the water of this lake is noted for describing the condition of the state through its color. This lake is located on the Inner Line Permit area. To visit this beautiful natural lake, travelers need to collect the permit from the Police.
Things to Buy in Rumtek
Handmade art facts- While traveling this beautiful city of Sikkim, you will come across different silk made strolls, idols of Lord Buddha in the nearby shops. You can buy any one of as a souvenir.
Planning to go this place via Indian Rail?
Visit www.indianrail.gov.in. / for knowing specific trains going to this place. You may book your train tickets at www.irctc.co.in/
Planning to go this place via Bus?
Do you think, something more is to be added in the above information?
Or, you want to just share some sweet or sour experiences about this place?
Just click here for the same.
The whole AstroDevam team will be thankful to you.
We will try to implement your suggestions, in the best possible manner.
Your experiences will be published on this prestigious website, under your name.
Furthermore, Interesting suggestions and experiences will be rewarded by https://astrodevam.com/
So what are you waiting for?
Note: above information has been provided by https://astrodevam.com/, as a CSR (Corporate Social Responsibility) endeavor.