The holiday of Good Friday, also known with several other names such as Holy Friday, Easter Friday, Black Friday, and Easter Friday, is religiously observed by Christian community all around the world. It commemorates the crucifixion and death of Jesus Christ at Calvary. As estimated by several researches and confirmed by several beliefs, crucifixion of Jesus occurred in AD 33.
Time of Observation
Rituals for the Day
1. Most of the Christians prefer to live through this day by observing fast (or just go without eating meat) and by offering prayers. Principally, all those who are above 18 and below 60 are required to abide by fast. Observance of fast requires one to consume only one complete meal and two small meals in that day, with nothing in between those intervals. Those who are above 14 years should strictly refrains from consuming meat in any form.
2. Primarily, this day is meant to be live for the realization of the passion and sufferings of Jesus on the cross, and meditation is what helps one realize that. It is about realization of the purpose of our eternal liberation for which Jesus went through those sufferings.
3. Churches conduct special liturgy, as a part of which precepts out of ‘Passion According to Gospel of John’ are read. This is a way of remembering what all sufferings Jesus went through for our good.
4. As it is a mournful day, many churches put in a special bitter drink in place made up of leaves, vinegar, and few other ingredients, which is consumed after performing services. Also, to mark their despair associated with the day, churches don’t put flowers or any sort of decoration in the place. It is kept considerably gloomy, with only one simple cross standing on the altar. All those present in the Church convey intercessory prayers to the Lord. They all come forth to revere and kiss the holy cross. The afternoon on the day is meant for rendering services.
5. In certain parts, special parades and processions are carried out. The last hours of life of Jesus, right from his crucifixion to his death, are staged by artists.
All the information given above are of general nature only, collected and reproduced for the general information only. However, if you want some specific, exclusive and deep information, you may avail our specially designed services, for satisfying your thirst of knowledge.