Sambalpur, the abode of Goddess Samaleswari
An overview of the city of Sambalpur
According to the administrative records, Sambalpur is recorded as the biggest town in Western Odissa. This city is noted for witnessing the major battles of the British people with India rulers. For this reason, this city is considered as one of the most important historical city in Odissa. Apart from having an interesting historical background, nowadays, this city is counted as the heart of commercial scenario of Odissa. According to local people, this city has coined its name from Goddess Samaleswari, who is an embodiment of Goddess kali. This city also plays an important role in the platform of art and cultures. The dance forms and songs of this city, gives a prideful niche among other cities of India.
Destinations to explore in Sambalpur
- Chiplima- Chiplima is located 37km away from the Sambalpur city. The presence of the 24.38m tall waterfall makes this site into an attractive destination. Nowadays, this becomes an attractive picnic spot for the travelers. Apart from enjoying the marvelous view of the waterfall, you can get to see the beautiful Ghanteswariu Temple and an Agricultural Farm near this city.
- Hirakud Dam-This Dam is located on the Mahanadi River. This water reservoir is noted as one of the most beautiful site of the Sambalpur city, which contributes a lot in the agricultural background of this town. Along with enjoying the beautiful view of the lake, you will also get an opportunity of boating in this lake.
- Debrigarh Wildlife Sanctuary- This unique wildlife housing area is located near the Hirakud dam. This wildlife sanctuary is known as a heaven for migratory birds. The presence of sufficient water of the dam makes this place more amiable for 32,000 avian creatures.
- Sambaleswari temple-This temple is located on the banks of Mahanadi River. According to experts, the name of this city is hailed from this temple, which is dedicated to praise Goddess Sri Sri Samaleswari. This city is known as the residing place of this deity.
- Huma Temple- This temple is also popular as the leaning tower of Huma. This 1670 Ad built temple is located on the banks of Mahanadi River. According to various evidences, it is said that the fifth King of Chauhan Dynasty, Baliar Singh, built this temple. This pious temple is dedicated to worship Lord Shiva.
- Ushakoti wildlife Sanctuary-This sanctuary is located 43 km away from the Sambalpur city. This beautiful Hirakud Dam nearby wildlife sanctuary is also known as Badrama sanctuary. In this wildlife shelter ground you will find the wildlife creatures like Flying squirrels, Elephants, Leopards, Bisons, Nilgai, Cheetal, Wolves, Bears, Wild Asian Elephants, Planck Panthers, sambar, Spotted deer, Royal Bengal Tigers, racket Tail dragons. Apart from watching this wide range of collections of animals, at this point you will find a deep forest of the dry deciduous trees like Neem, sandalwood, sal, Acacia, Arjun , etc. To explore this forest, you can avail the facility of Safari jeep service.
- Ghanteswari temple-Ghanteswari temple is located 33km south east of the town Sambalpur. This Mahanadi River bank located beautiful temple is noted as one of the most pious temple of Odissa, which is known for pleasing the wish of the devotees. If you travel around this temple, will notice numerous belles to bind in the temple surroundings as a token of their wish fulfillment.
Shopping in Sambalpur
Handlooms- Sambalpur is a recorded place for its unique handloom creations, which are known for the Sambalpuri works. You can buy any of these beautifully created Sambalpuri works for gifting purpose.
Planning to go this place via Indian Rail?
Visit www.indianrail.gov.in. / for knowing specific trains going to this place. You may book your train tickets at www.irctc.co.in/
Planning to go this place via Bus?
Do you think, something more is to be added in the above information?
Or, you want to just share some sweet or sour experiences about this place?
Just click here for the same.
The whole AstroDevam team will be thankful to you.
We will try to implement your suggestions, in the best possible manner.
Your experiences will be published on this prestigious website, under your name.
Furthermore, Interesting suggestions and experiences will be rewarded by https://astrodevam.com/
So what are you waiting for?
Note: above information has been provided by https://astrodevam.com/, as a CSR (Corporate Social Responsibility) endeavor.