Tomato Chutney Now get the solution to your queries e.g. how to make Tomato Chutney, how to cook Tomato Chutney, how to prepare Tomato Chutney. This is a vegetarian recipe for a complete healthy eating food.
Prep & Cooking: 20 minutes
Serves 4-5 persons
Cuisine: South Indian
- 3 large ripe juicy tomatoes (blanch, de-skin and puree)
- 1 tsp grated Ginger
- 2-3 Green chillies (slit length wise)
- Pinch of Turmeric
- 1 1/2 cups of Water
- 1/2 tsp Jaggery or Sugar (optional)
- Red Chilli powder (according to your spice level) – optional
- Salt to taste
- Pinch of Asafoetida (optional)
- Coriander leaves for garnishing
- For tempering/tadka
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 3/4 tsp Cumin seeds
- ½ tsp split Black gram (Minappa Pappu) – optional
- 10-12 fresh curry leaves
Note: Serve with South Indian Tiffin’s like Dosa, Idli, Khichidi, Ven Pongal or Phulagam. It can also be served as a Dip.
- Pre-heat Oil in a cooking Vessel, add the Mustard seeds and let them splutter. Add the Cumin seeds and Black Gram Dal and let them brown. Don’t burn them. Add the Curry leaves and fry for a few seconds.
- Add the grated Ginger, Green Chillies and Turmeric powder combine. Add the Tomato Puree and let it cook on medium heat for 3-4 minutes. Check at regular intervals and stir.
- Add Water and let it come to boil. Reduce heat and cook for another 4-5 minutes.
- Add the Jaggery or Sugar, Salt and Red Chilli powder (if you are using it) and combine. Lastly add a pinch of Asafoetida and turn off heat. Garnish with chopped Coriander leaves.