Shravanabelagola, a serene place to feel the pulse of Jainism
An introduction of the city
Among other Jain Tirthas, Shravanabelagola is noted as one of the oldest and sacred traveling destination for the Jain people. According to the administrative records, this pious city of Jain’s is located in the south Indian state Karnataka. Apart from its Jain influence, this city is also a distinguished place for the archaeological and religious importance .From a long time this beautiful Karnataka city played an important role in the political scenario of Karnataka. In yester years, this city was ruled by various powerful dynasts. According to the ancient records, this South Indian city is known to be the source of spreading Jain religion in South India.
Places to Explore
- Chandragiri-This is a prominent place in Karnataka for its contribution in the Jain religion. The name of this place is originated from the name of Mauryan ruler Chandragupta. This place is famous for having many ancient monuments of the Mauryan period. Name of some of these monuments are given below..
- Mahastambha Basadi-This is a beautiful pillar constructed by merchant Puttiah in the 17th century. The image of the Jain seated with the Gopuram is reflected here.
- The cave of Bhadrabahu- This place is popular for the sacred feet of Sritakavalli. It is said that these sacred feet used to be worshipped by the ruler Chandragupta Maurya in his entire life. These feet are now also worshipped by the priests.
- Chadragupta Basadi- This place is positioned on the northern part of the Kattlae Basadi. This is considered as the smallest among other hill located Basadis. The 12th century architecture is the key appeal of this location.
- Majjigana Basadi- This Basadi is devoted to worship the 14th Tirthankar Anantanath.
- Vindyagiri-This rock temple of Jain religion is located 470 above from the sea level. To reach this rock a tourist needs to climb the rock on bare foot. Travelers from a long time climb this hill area to explore the amazing site of the valley and the ancient statues. By climbing to this site, you will view the beautiful statue of Lord Gomateswara or Bahubali. This 58 ft tall statue is described as the tallest monolithic statue in the world. The carvings and detailing of the architecture makes it a gem of sculpture. According to different sources, it can be confirmed that this Jain math dated back to 978 to 993 AD.
- Odegai Basadi-This granite made Basadi or temple is the only Triple shrine temple in the Jain religion. The different facing roofs of this Basadi bring a unique look to its construction. Inside this devout temple you will view the inscriptions and relics of the Jain Tirthankars. According to experts, this temple dated back to 14th century.
- Belgola- This is a beautiful big pond located in the heart of this city. This pond is called as the White Pond for its crystal white water.
- Halebidu- This destination is considered as the seat of the Jain religion in India. The deities of Jainism named Bhagawan Adinatha, Bhagawan Pareshnath, and Bhagawan Shantinatha are worshipped here. Apart from offering a puja to these deities, you can also visit the nearby archaeological museum to view numerous Jain idols inside this museum. Here you will get to see a beautiful 16ft tall ruined idol.
Shopping in Shravanabelagola
Local market- The nearby market place of this city offers the travelers a wide range of fresh fruits, vegetables and various attractive stationery products. From here you can buy various Jain religion related books and inscriptions, idol of Jain deities.
Planning to go this place via Indian Rail?
Visit www.indianrail.gov.in. / for knowing specific trains going to this place. You may book your train tickets at www.irctc.co.in/
Planning to go this place via Bus?
Do you think, something more is to be added in the above information?
Or, you want to just share some sweet or sour experiences about this place?
Just click here for the same.
The whole AstroDevam team will be thankful to you.
We will try to implement your suggestions, in the best possible manner.
Your experiences will be published on this prestigious website, under your name.
Furthermore, Interesting suggestions and experiences will be rewarded by https://astrodevam.com/
So what are you waiting for?
Note: above information has been provided by https://astrodevam.com/, as a CSR (Corporate Social Responsibility) endeavor.