Rohru, the picture book beauty of Himachal Pradesh
Introduction of Rohru
The picture book beauty of Rohru, a small town, 115 km from Shimla, Himachal Pradesh, the nearest airport and 165 km from Kalka, the nearest rail head, will captivate you with its quaint charm and breathtaking views. It is indeed an ideal getaway for city dwellers looking for a piece of quiet, and a place where one might commune with nature. It is a popular destination for trout fishing and adventure sports activities. Located on the banks of the Pabbar River, this popular destination also features in a Himachali song, Rohru Jana, meaning I want to go to Rohru, such is its magnetism!
History of Rohru
At an elevation of about 5000 ft above sea level, this tiny hamlet, nestling in the hills has a population of only 13,000 or so and is surrounded by forests waiting to be explored. With an ideal mean temperature of 10-150 C throughout the year, it is an area of apple production too. With temperatures in the rest of India touching the 40s in summer, many tourists flock here during the summer months with family and friends to enjoy the Himachali hospitality offered by the Rohru residents. The literacy rate here is high, at 94% and the area boasts of a high per capita income and high standard of living too. There has been a lot of development in the area and today, this sleepy, little town boasts of not only nursing colleges, hospitals, and degree colleges but even a national level cricket stadium.
Interesting places to visit in Rohru
- Banks of the Pabbar is not only an angler’s dream come true, but also the dream destination for adventure sports enthusiasts as several tour operators conduct adventure sports like river rafting and canoeing.
- Chansal: the gentle slopes here are ideal for heli skiing and the area is also a trekkers paradise, offering breath taking views of the snow covered slopes of the mighty Himalayas.
- Chirgaon: boasts of many fishing spots from which anglers have caught trout, mahaseer and other species of fish.
Areas in and around Rohru attract travelers, local, national, and even international for the efficiently organized camping, trekking, paragliding and hang gliding activities while also offering one a view of the majestic Himalayas as a backdrop.
- Sawra Kuddu Hydro Electric Project, a mere 12 km from Rohru, is worth a visit.
- Hateswari Temple at Hatkoti and the valley there draw a lot of visitors.
- Shikru Devta temple: is an important place to visit for the devout and religious who may not want to spend all their time exploring the natural beauty of this area.
Your shopping list in Rohru
Generally, on a visit to a scenic place like this, shopping is far from one’s mind but the handicrafts of the area are delicate and pretty enough to attract even those who are wont to shop. As this area is dubbed the’ apple valley’, and is renowned for producing export quality apples, apple based jams, sweets and juices should definitely be a welcome gift for friends and relatives back home. Every April, the annual fair at the Shikru Devta temple attracts thousands from near and far and one can find interesting locally made craft items at the fair.
Planning to go this place via Indian Rail?
Visit www.indianrail.gov.in. / for knowing specific trains going to this place. You may book your train tickets at www.irctc.co.in/
Planning to go this place via Bus?
Do you think, something more is to be added in the above information?
Or, you want to just share some sweet or sour experiences about this place?
Just click here for the same.
The whole AstroDevam team will be thankful to you.
We will try to implement your suggestions, in the best possible manner.
Your experiences will be published on this prestigious website, under your name.
Furthermore, Interesting suggestions and experiences will be rewarded by https://astrodevam.com/
So what are you waiting for?
Note: above information has been provided by https://astrodevam.com/, as a CSR (Corporate Social Responsibility) endeavor.