Orchha, the medieval town of palace and temples
Introduction of the city of Orchha
Orchha is a beautiful medieval city of Madhya Pradesh state. According to historians, this city was founded by Maharaja Rudra Pratap Singh in 15th century AD. This city is located on the bank of Betwa River. This place is located 15 km away from Jhansi, one of the major historical sites in Madhya Pradesh. Travelers from different regions, come to explore this city, only to explore its ancient palaces and temples. This city used to be the retreat for the Bundelkhand kings. In the time of the ruling period of Tughlaq, these kings supposed to take shelter in this ‘hidden’ city.
Things to see in Orchha
- Datia- This is an ancient village, located near Orchha. This place is known for its ancient temples. By travelling to this site, you will find some amazing temples like Bagalamukhi Devi temple, Sree Peetambara Devi temple, Gopeswar temples and a reputed Jain shrine, Sonagiri. This place is well known for arranging different festivals. Every year pilgrims from different lands come to visit these shrines.
- Jahangir mahal-This 17th century built palace is also known as Rani Mahal. This 17th century built mahal was formed to show the honor to Emperor Jahangir on his visiting to Orchha. This east facing mahal of is known for its outstanding paintings and architecture. While roaming around this palace, you will come across the mythological paintings on the walls and the entrance. Along with the paintings, the onion shaped domes of this palace will make you mesmerized. From this beautiful palace, you will come to view the panoramic view of the Betwa River.
- Raj mahal- Raj mahal or Raja Mahal was built in 17th century AD. This beautifully constructed mahal, used to be the residing place of the rulers of Orchha. Inside this palace, you will find a sheesh mahal, which is entirely decorated by placing mirrors in different angles. Alao0ng with its picaresque interior, the exterior part is also a major attraction for the travelers. While roaming inside the temple compound, you will find two different rectangular shaped courtyards, where rulers created mandap like architecture to bring more aristocracy in its appearance.
- Ram raja Temple- this is one of the most popular traveling destination in Orchha. In this temple, Lord Rama is praised in form of a king. According to ancient tales, this site used to be the residing place for the King Madhukar Shah. Once he was told in his dream to bring the idol of Rama, and to worship him inside his palace. From that time this residing place has transformed in a temple, from a palace.
- Lakshmi Narayan Temple-this huge temple of Orchha was built in .This temples is dedicated to praise Goddess Laxmi, the Goddess of wealth. Inside this temple, you will find the beautiful mural paintings that are inspired from the Bundela and .Mughal paintings which are inspired from the Rama Charaita Manas. Another importance of this temple is that, here the first battle of Independence named Sipahi Bidroho was fought here in 1857.
Shopping in Orchha
Hand Crafts- While looking for buying some souvenirs, from this city, you can buy some amazing collections of handcrafts from local shops.
Planning to go this place via Indian Rail?
Visit www.indianrail.gov.in. / for knowing specific trains going to this place. You may book your train tickets at www.irctc.co.in/
Planning to go this place via Bus?
Do you think, something more is to be added in the above information?
Or, you want to just share some sweet or sour experiences about this place?
Just click here for the same.
The whole AstroDevam team will be thankful to you.
We will try to implement your suggestions, in the best possible manner.
Your experiences will be published on this prestigious website, under your name.
Furthermore, Interesting suggestions and experiences will be rewarded by https://astrodevam.com/
So what are you waiting for?
Note: above information has been provided by https://astrodevam.com/, as a CSR (Corporate Social Responsibility) endeavor.