Girnar, the shrine town of India
Silhouette of the city of Girnar
This city of Gujarat state has coined its name from its nearby Girnar peak. According to geological evidences, this peak is known as the highest and oldest peak of Gujarat fir this reason, this site is described as the national heritage site. As per various surveys it is noticed that Girnar mountain range is older than the Himalayan range. Girnar city, which is located on the backside of the Junagad city, grew up centering the ancient Girnar mountain range. From various archaeological and historical evidences, it can be said that Girnar used to be the most significant diktat in the time of ruler Ashoka. Apart from its historical importance, this granite mountain range city of Gujarat is a favorite destination for the trekkers. Every year trekkers from different countries collect the permission for exploring this mountain range. While roaming near this mountain range, you will find the celebrated Brahmi inscriptions over the rocks of this hill that dates back to Ashoka.
Interesting locations in Girnar
- Mount Girnar- according to various geological it is recorded that the penta peaks of Girnar was formed due to the volcanic eruptions. The fascinating factor behind this city is that, it houses nearby 866 temples, which includes the shrines of different religious. To reach these 866 temples, you have to climb 8000 steps.
- Goddess Ambe Temple-As per historians, this temple was built in 12th century. According to different tales it is believed that Goddess Durga, used to be worshipped in this temple by the pre Aryan civilization in Ambe incarnation. It is believed that during the construction of this temple Goddess Durga was appeared here which is confirmed by the footprints and the chariot print over the stone. Another interesting factor of this temple is that The Bhavai, a drama performs in this temple’s compound area.
- Girnar Sadhana Ashram- This peaceful Ashram is located at the valley of the Girnar Mountain. Based on the records it can be said that this temple was established 25 years ago. Nowadays, it is considered as one of the leading meditation centre of this mountain-encircled city.
- Chorwad Beach- This beach is located near Girnar. The popularity of this beach is noted for its beautiful view and nearby existence of the Somnath temple. It is considered as one of the outstanding boating spot in this city. From this beach you can easily access Somnath temple and Porbandar.
- Rishavadev temple- This beautiful golden color temple is dedicated to the worship of the first Tirthankar of Jain religion, Rishavadev.
- Lord Dattatreya Temple- This temple is dedicated to worship Lord Dattatreya, the embodiment of Lord Shiva. According to Hindu mythology, it is believed that three headed Lord Dattatreya used to do meditation here. While you go to this temple, will come to observe his footprints.
- Toonks of Girnar hill- This historical and mythological site is known for having the rock inscriptions of King Ashoka. Apart from the inscriptions, you will find a cave here where you come to see the idols of Lord Bahubali, Lord Neminath, and Lord Pareshnath on the first toonk. On the second toonk area, you will discover the temple of Ambika Devi. Whereas the third, fourth and fifth toonks are embellished with the footprints of Pradyunmna, Muni Shambuk Kumar and Jain deity Lord Neminath.
Shopping in Girnar
Religious buy-As this city is filled up with numerous temples, so while exploring this city and its shops, you will find various idols of the Jain tirthankaras and Hindu deities. You can buy any one of them as a souvenir.
Planning to go this place via Indian Rail?
Visit www.indianrail.gov.in. / for knowing specific trains going to this place. You may book your train tickets at www.irctc.co.in/
Planning to go this place via Bus?
Do you think, something more is to be added in the above information?
Or, you want to just share some sweet or sour experiences about this place?
Just click here for the same.
The whole AstroDevam team will be thankful to you.
We will try to implement your suggestions, in the best possible manner.
Your experiences will be published on this prestigious website, under your name.
Furthermore, Interesting suggestions and experiences will be rewarded by https://astrodevam.com/
So what are you waiting for?
Note: above information has been provided by https://astrodevam.com/, as a CSR (Corporate Social Responsibility) endeavor.