Eggplant Bharta/ baingan bharta
Eggplant Bharta Now get the solution to your queries e.g. how to make Eggplant Bharta, how to cook Baingan bharta, how to prepare Baingan bharta. This is a vegetarian recipe for a complete healthy food.
Category: Vegetarian, Rajasic, Vegetables
Preparation time: 40 minutes
- 1 medium Eggplant, halved
- 2 teaspoons Vegetable Oil
- Pinch of Asafoetida
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon peeled and finely chopped Ginger
- 1 Tomato, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 cup low-fat plain Yogurt
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped Garlic
- 1 small Red Onion, finely chopped
- Pinch of Red Chilli powder
- Pre-heat the Oven to 450°F.
- Place the Egg-plant halves, cut side up, on a baking sheet and roast for about 20 minutes, or until the flesh is tender and the skin is slightly burnt. Set aside to cool.
- When the eggplant is cool enough to handle, spoon the pulp out of the skin, and into a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Heat the Oil in a medium Skillet over medium heat for 1 minute. Add the Asafoetida and Cumin seeds. When the Cumin seeds start to splutter, add the Ginger and Tomato. For the Rajasic variation, also add the Garlic, Onion, and Red Chili powder. Sauté for 1 minute.
- Add the Coriander, Turmeric, and Salt and cook for 2 minutes longer.
- Add the Eggplant Pulp and Yogurt and stir well. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes.
- Next serve hot.