Cuttack, the historical city of Odissa
About the city of Cuttack
Cuttack is the second largest city of Odissa. This city is famous for its historical background. Being older by an age of 1000years, this city is often described as the millennium city of Orissa. According to chronological records, this city used to be the capital of the Ganga Kingdom in 1211AD. If one carefully looks at the name of this city, he will find that this city was constructed by pivoting a fort. For most of the historians, the name of this city is inspired from the presence of the Barabati Fort. As per various evidences, it is found this popular city of Odissa used to be an important trade centre in the ruling period of Maratha rulers. Later this, River Mahanadi delta situated city has experienced different changes, after the introduction of the ruling period of British.
Attractions of Cuttack
- Bhitarkanika Wildlife Sanctuary- If you are an avid fan of watching wildlife creatures, then this 650 km area occupied wildlife sanctuary with wide range of flora and fauna is ready to fulfill your wish. Here you will come across the rare collections of reptiles and mammals. Among other wild animals collections, the collection of estuarine crocodiles and Olive Ridley Sea Turtles and migratory birds, make this sanctuary into a precious store house of rare animals. Apart from watching the animals, the dense mangrove forest will also attract your eyes.
- Cuttack Chandi Temple-This Hindu temple is recorded as one of the most sacred temples in Odissa. This beautiful temple is located on the banks of Mahanadi River. In this temple; you will find Goddess Chandi, the embodiment of Goddess Durga to be worshipped. Every year, this temple is known for arranging Durga Puja and Kali puja.
- Barabati Fort-This fort is located 8km away from Cuttack city, which is located on the banks of Mahanadi River. The architecture of the ruins of this ancient fort makes it as an important example of ancient Indian architecture. This fort plays an essential role in the past era of Odissa. For having such a valuable backdrop, this fort is now under the maintenance of the Archaeological Survey of India.
- Dhavaleswar- Dhavaleswar is a beautiful island located on the River Mahanadi. On this island you will find a beautiful temple that is dedicated to worship Lord Shiva. Every year Hindu pilgrims come to visit this shrine, to offer a puja to this temple.
- Quadam E Rasool- This mosque was built by ruler Sujaddin Khan. This mosque is known for its brilliant architecture of the Islamic base.
- Netaji Birth Museum- Cuttack is a historical site for housing the birth residence of the great freedom fighter Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose. Now this historical residence has transformed into a museum. By traveling to this museum, you will get a clear view of the freedom struggle and other notable incidents of Netaji’s life through various collections.
- Stone Revetment- Cuttack is always come into the picture for its rich historical and archaeological contributions. Among these affluent contributions, one of the reputed names is the Stone Revetment near this city which was carved in 11th century, by ruler Markata Keshari. Through these carvings, you will see the encroachment of the ancient architecture in that period.
- Singanatha Temple-This beautiful religious site is noted for the impression of Dravidian architecture. This tomb looking tall pillar of the temple makes it into another aristocratic example of ancient Indian architecture.
Shopping in Cuttack
- Filigri work- Cuttack is famous for its silver and Ivory based filigree work. If you want to buy something precious, then filigree work is the best option for you.
- Katki Saree- these sarees are known as the special feature of Cuttack, The design and color combination of the saree, is one of the major attractions after buying them.
Planning to go this place via Indian Rail?
Visit www.indianrail.gov.in. / for knowing specific trains going to this place. You may book your train tickets at www.irctc.co.in/
Planning to go this place via Bus?
Do you think, something more is to be added in the above information?
Or, you want to just share some sweet or sour experiences about this place?
Just click here for the same.
The whole AstroDevam team will be thankful to you.
We will try to implement your suggestions, in the best possible manner.
Your experiences will be published on this prestigious website, under your name.
Furthermore, Interesting suggestions and experiences will be rewarded by https://astrodevam.com/
So what are you waiting for?
Note: above information has been provided by https://astrodevam.com/, as a CSR (Corporate Social Responsibility) endeavor.